I’m currently reading the latest volume of Spy x Family and it’s fantastic. It’s a flashback to Loid’s childhood. I’m not sure we’ll get that far in this season but I still can’t wait to see it animated. If I had to guess, I would say that I am going to cry! I’m a crybaby, just like Loid apparently!
But we’re not here to talk about potential future episodes of Spy x Family. Especially when the current episode was so good. Last episode there was a brief mention of an assassin organization called the Garden and of course, we know an assassin! I’m sure you all saw it coming. Personally, I like that there’s a literal garden involved. It’s cooky.
Obviously, I’m happy we get to know more about Yor but, it’s a little easy, isn’t it? She’s an assassin but one of those good assassins that only kills bad guys. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that this cute children’s show about a found family isn’t going to get all grim on me but there was something interesting about the moral dilemma that it proposed. With all these grey characters with violent tendencies. My headcanon is that Yor is just so naive that the Garden chief just convinced her that they were heroes of justice or something.
After all, if you think about it, the current mission sounds righteous. She is protecting someone, a mother and newborn child no less. But this is also a high-ranking mob wife and you gotta figure her past isn’t entirely squeaky clean…
I digress. It was a fun episode, wasn’t it? A lot of nice setup and all these potential assassins coming together is going to make for a fun romp! It’s a more introspective episode for Yor as she seriously considers retiring from being an assassin. It’s a dangerous job that she no longer needs to do strictly speaking. It’s also the only life she’s ever really known. Her new family is slowly becoming more important to her but it’s also fake. And her old family, Yuri, doesn’t need her like he used to. So what is a gorgeous killing machine to do?
As some of you may know, Yor is my favourite which is what makes this arc so great for me. Not only does she get a chance to shine and kick some derrière. We also finally get a chance to sit down and learn her thoughts a bit. See what a girl like Yor thinks about herself and about life.
And then, you get the wacky sidekick story of Anya and Loid just trying to be on vacation. All the while Anya is living out one of her spy adventures in that childish way of hers and Loid is trying to relax and have fun. Possibly the two only things he is not at all skilled at. It makes for a nice silly break in this surprisingly earnest arc and honestly, I can’t wait for more!
- Spy x Family episode 1 – Family Man
- Spy x Family episode 2 – Found Family
- Spy x Family episode 3 – Family Ooting
- Spy x Family episode 4 – The Elegant Family
- Spy x Family episode 5 – Meet the Loidman Family
- Spy x Family episode 6 – Like Mother, Like Daughter
- Spy x Family episode 7 – Extended Family
- Spy x Family episode 8 – Family-In-Law
- Spy x Family episode 9 – Briar Family Issues
- Spy x Family episode 10 – Dodgeball Lessons with Mom
- Spy x Family episode 11 – Family Pride
- Spy x Family episode 12 – Family Finale
- Spy x Family episode 13 – Family Pet
- Spy x Family episode 14 – Future Family
- Spy x Family episode 15 – Family Reunion
- Spy x Family episode 16 – Family Dinner
- Spy x Family episode 17 – Daddy Issues
- Spy x Family episode 18 – Scholarly Family
- Spy x Family episode 19 – The Glooman Family Business
- Spy x Family episode 20 – Family Doctor
- Spy x Family episode 21 – The Spy Who Wuvved Me
- Spy x Family episode 22 – The Phony Family
- Spy x Family episode 23 – Private Family Collection
- Spy x Family episode 24 – Family Friend
- Spy x Family episode 25 – Dad
- Spy x Family episode 26 – Happy Wife, Happy Life
- Spy x Family episode 27 – A Very Good Boy
- Spy x Family episode 28 – Oh Brother!
- Spy x Family episode 29 – Smart Cookie