Once in a while, the more creative members of our little community give us a chance to show of our artistic skills by putting together these projects for everyone to participate in. This time TPAB gave me such a chance with the Create-A-Story tag:
- You pick your first word, your setting and your story genre from the list below. As individuals, your brand of creativity is unique to yours, so we want to highlight that by letting you choose from a bunch of words and creating something beautiful out of it.
Slice of Life
- The short story will have a limit of 1000 words. You do not need to write a story with 1000 words exactly. It could be 300, or 500 as long as it doesn’t surpass a thousand.
- YOU HAVE TWO WEEKS TO ANSWER THE TAG.
- You must tag three people to participate.
- Don’t forget to link back to Keiko (this is her story) so she can collect all the stories. You can’t just link back to her wordpress, since she won’t be alerted of the pingback. You need to link back to a post or a page, because wordpress works like this.
- Use the Create-A-Story picture in the post.
- Copy and paste the rules in your tag post as well, so others can be clued in to the Create-A-Story rules.
I chose Rain + Beach + Slice of life
“This is stupid. This place is stupid…. what’s the point of coming to the stupid beach if it’s just going to rain the whole time?!?…. Oh there’s another kid in the lobby.”
He looks up from a crumpled magazine.
-ohh… Hi. I didn’t think there were other kids here. My name’s Alex.
– My name’s Lizzie. Did your parents make you come here too?
– yeah, it’s stupid.
***2 years later***
-Mom! I don’t have to go. I’m 14 now, I can stay home by myself… In some countries I’d already be married.
– In those countries you wouldn’t be allowed to go out by yourself.
– Besides your little friend Alex is going to be there. Don’t you want to see him?
***2 years later***
-Mom, isn’t it about time we change up our travel destination. Every time we come here, it rains nonstop.
– It’s a tradition Honey. You know your dad and Henry have been friends since grade school. We always vacation here together. The sea is quite beautiful. You get along well with Henry’s son too. Weren’t you going to show Alex the guitar you just got.
– At least we can play with that in the rain.
***2 years later***
-I’ll break his nose. I’ll tear his arm off and beat him to death with the bloody end. I’ll…
– Calm down Alex… It’s not that bad..
In spite of myself I was already starting to smile through the tears…
– How dare that jerk treat my friend this way!? One day he’ll figure out he had a shot with the best girl in the world and he blew it. You’re way too good for him anyways.
-If it stops raining tomorrow, let’s swim out to the island.
***2 years later***
-Alex, I just heard from your dad. Why didn’t you tell me!!! Ivy league??? Mr. Big shot!
– Oh man… I was gonna surprise you on the first day of school. Couldn’t leave you all on your own on that big fancy campus!
– Celebrating already?
-Not much else to do in this weather. Join me! Apparently this drink is called a “rainy day friend”. Appropriate wouldn’t you say?
***6 years later***
– This place is so old school, I love it. Hope the rain let’s up and we can have a BBQ on the beach. So how did you two meet anyway?
Alex: we’ve known each other since we were kids. Our fathers have been best friends since before we were born.
Liz: It’s kinda funny. We actually talked here for the first time one summer. It took us weeks to realize we were pretty much neighbors and since then, this guy won’t leave me alone. Kept following me to the same schools, nagging me to play video games with us, even ended up joining my high school band!
Alex: Oh man, we were terrible.
Liz: Thank god Chrissa came along to take him off my hands!
Alex: Please, you loved it and you know it!
***A few hours later***
Liz: Hey, what are you doing out here – you’ll get soaked!
Alex: I think I’ve had a few too many. I need some fresh air to straighten myself up a little.
Liz: Well you’ve got all day to sleep it off but you better be ready for tomorrow or else the blushing bride will kill us both!
Alex: You look on top of things… did you even drink at all tonight?
Liz: Well I’ve been sort of avoiding it lately.
Alex: Oh c’mon you should be celebrating with me…wait..you aren’t?
Liz: I was going to tell you soon. Right now it’s about you and Chrissa.
Alex: OMG, this is AWESOME! Seb must be over the moon!!!!
Liz: Well you know you better get to work too. After all we’re going have to bring our kids to play together here!
Alex: You know it! They’ll hate it!
Liz: I know right? This place is so stupid.
Alex: Oh hey, the rain stopped…
I hope I did it right. I’m not great with word limits as you may have noticed!
I always whine about not being a creative person, but I secretly love all these little writing assignments my fellow bloggers throw my way. So once again, thank you TPAB for tagging me in this. Go read his story – it’s the link I just put here!
In turn I want to read:
- The Spooky Redhead (You recently mentioned wanting to put some short fiction up on your blog so you may enjoy this)
- Edgy teen (I always like your story time posts!) ED – of course a day after I scheduled this he announced a hiatus…
- Rem (You write such pretty poems – I bet this would be amazing.
32 thoughts on “Create-A-Story: Rain + Sea + Slice of Life”
This was great! I see you managed to work drinks in there somehow!
*sweat breaks out on my forehead*
Was I tagged? Oh no…
Now I have a poem and a story to write! I think I’m obligated go with “Tragedy” as my third word…
Ooohhh edgy teen poetry. Is there anything better?
But I can’t write poetry for my life!
Sartre was right!
Yeah but his friends were all French!
(I’m just going to like this comment and act like I have some assumptions about French people)
Ooo this was amazing! I loved the friendship the two developed over time. And of course there has to be some drinking somewhere hahaha :’) And you did it absolutely right 🙂 It was a wonderful read 🙂
Thank you Keiko. I couldn’t let you guys down and not include one drink at least
Nice story! Very sweet, and touching. Of course, I knew there would be some drinking involve eventually hahaha
Pretty tame on he drinking side I think…I’ll do better next time
Great story, a very good read. Thanks
No Thank YOU!
Good job! 🙂
Yay for the cross-gender friendship option. Doesn’t nearly get enough air time.
It’s also absolutely slice-of-life!
this was cute. light heart. Nice job irina
Wow Irina! I liked this ending. So cool! I wish I knew how to write fiction.
I’m sure you write beautifully – you should try it
Well just in case you are still wondering about it: you did this right. It’s difficult to come up with a story in the first place, and even more difficult when you have a limit to it as well. But you pulled it off very nicely! Job well done is what I say 😀😀
Thank you Raist – I was watching an anime that made me very emotional and I wanted to write something happy
Well you certainly succeeded at that, but I do hope you are okay. Sometimes anime/movies/tvshows can certainly impact our moods. It happened to me several times. So yeah as I said, hope you are okay 😊
Oh it wasn’t emotional bad – it was emotional in love… you know that weird feeling when you fall in love with a story
Okay, then I am glad to hear it (was a bit worried, sorry). But that’s one of the best things a story can do: make you forget your surroundings and fall totally in love with it 😊
Man, I hope I get tagged for a story tag soon, this looks really fun!
Great stories, Irina, wonderful application of the themes.
Consider yourself tagged. Since Edgy most likely won’t see this – I officially bequeath his nomination to you!
Me and my big mouth, this us exactly like that harem tag again!
Kidding, I’m excited to try my hand at this 😀