Bragging time! I have actually spoken with The Pantless Anime Blogger. I make it a personal point to becomes friends with anyone who advertises as “pantless” so you can imagine how excited I am about this particular development. TPAB is both well-known and quite liked by the anime/blogging community at large and for very good reason, so when he suggested a fun new project for us to take on this season, I naturally jumped at the chance and ended up with a wonderful bunch of bloggers – I’m using up all my 2018 good luck right at the start.
So here’s what TPAB came up with:
- We chose three shows airing this season (this was much more of an ordeal than is sounds but we did it – Go US!)
- Each week we will post episode “Reviews” of these three anime (super original right?)
- BUT we will include a general plot specific prediction and a more superficial action/character prediction with every review.
- We are going to be keeping a running tally of the predictions and at the end of the season, the person with the worst record is going to get an extra special non prize!
- There has been some effort made to publish our posts more or less at the same time but Time Zones are tricky you guys!
Our lovely participants are – in alphabetical order:
The Zodiac room opened its doors just a few months before I discovered WordPress so I feel an instant kinship with him. We argue about things that don’t actually have a correct answer. I enjoy it a lot. Astral believes that there can never be too much cuteness in the world and he will convince you as well. In less than a year he’s managed so much with various projects as well as regularly posting on Unime. I will be so proud when I beat him!
It’s ME! I know you want to hear more about me, I don’t blame you but the only thing you need to know is: Ima gonna school these guys and look good while doing it!
Cute girl enthusiast (aren’t we all) and part time translator as well as all around entertaining anime blogger, his conversational writing style made me feel like we were already friends but I’m so happy to get to know him better. His translations of Seiyuu interviews complete with beautiful photo spreads made me feel other things… Also I will crush him!
Our fearless leader and senpai, it’s fair to say we all aspire to be as pantless as he is. His detailed and always amusing post are a constant source of
crushing jealousy inspiration. They say it’s always a little sad the first time you beat your mentors – I guess I’ll find out!
As for our shows, we will be following:
Nadeshiko, a high school student who had moved from Shizuoka to Yamanashi, decides to see the famous, 1000 yen-bill-featured Mount Fuji. Even though she manages to bike all the way to Motosu, she’s forced to turn back because of worsening weather. Unable to set her eyes on her goal, she faints partway to her destination. When she wakes up, it’s night, in a place she’s never been before, with no way of knowing how to get home. Nadeshiko is saved when she encounters Rin, a girl who is out camping by herself. This outdoorsy girls story begins with this first encounter between Nadeshiko and Rin. (source MAL)
On a continent ruled by chaos, the Lords have the power of a holy seal that can calm the chaos and protect the people. However, before anyone realizes it, the rulers cast aside their creed of purifying the chaos, and instead start to fight each other for each other’s holy seals to gain dominion over one another. Shiruuka, an isolated mage who scorns the Lords for abandoning their creed, and a wandering knight named Theo, who is on a journey to train to one day liberate his hometown, make an everlasting oath to work together to reform this continent dominated by wars and chaos. (source MAL)
The project’s premise follows Kouta Hasegawa, a high school boy that loves the yellow Pom Pom Purin dog. By mere coincidence, he ends up attending the same school as Yuu Mizuno, a boy who likes the bunny My Melody. Yuu tells Kouta that there’s nothing to be ashamed of for liking Sanrio’s cute characters. Together, Kouta, Yuu, Shunsuke Yoshino, Ryou Nishimiya, and Seiichirou Minamoto learn to accept their love of the characters instead of feeling embarrassed. (source MAL)
We hope you all enjoy this little adventure as much as we do and invite you to play along with us! I will be updating this post weekly with all our predictions, not that it’s necessary since I’ve pretty much already won! Stay tuned – the games begin in just two days!
- My general prediction is that the various girls we have seen so far will all end up in the same club.
- As for a character action, I just want more of Rin’s nonchalant/downright rudeness. It’s hilarious. But as for a prediction… I think she’ll start warming up a bit to the other girls. (to pinky at least) (this is pin point +2)
- I predict that we’re going to see more of the other two girls in the outdoor club, maybe some shenanigans at their new jobs? +1
- For a character action, I hope we get another text conversation between Rin and Saitou, because those are adorable. +1
- Considering that the two groups of girls are going camping at different campsites, I think we might see Rin being a bit lonely and wishing she had gone camping with the others?
- For my action, I predict we’ll get to see a character eating a meal happily. (this is pin point +2)
- Rin is finally going to agree to go on a camp with the Outdoor club, but maybe she’ll bring Saito along, for security or something.
- What was that wierd flash of light in the sky? Aliens, yo. Aliens.
- Rin and Nadeshiko share a bonding moment during their camp together (+2 as of ep7)
- Classy old man pops up again and acts classy AF (+1. Just a brief cameo, can’t say it was a classy showing, but it’s open to contention)
Irina’s note: Offering meat to underage girls you don’t know is not exactly the definition of “classy”
- Plot: Purple will get stoically annoyed because other girls are “noisy” +1
- Character: Pinky will make the happy lobotomy face (this is pin point +2)
- Plot: Rin will join the outdoor club in some capacity
- Character: Pinky will be impressed by something really mundane (this is pin point +2)
- Plot: The outdoor club will set their sights on a specific piece of equipment they want!
- Character: We will see the return of Rin’s super friendly buddy (she showed up again as of Ep6, +2)
- Plot: Nabisco will go to Rin for camping advice (she did kinda tell her about ground sheets and whatnot… +1? Open to to discussion)
- Character: We will find out someone’s fear (+2, Nadeshiko is afraid of ghosts as of Ep6. Also, low-key impressed by this prediction)
- Plot: You know what – you only regret the things you don’t do – pay attention producer spies: There actually will be a ghost!
Irina’s note – the boys didn’t let me have one point on this but I think we all know I have a moral victory here!
- Character: all the *other* girls will have a scene together
- Nadeshiko will not know what a Caribou is and will be OMG super duper amazed by it!!!
- We will see the drunk teacher again
- ~ Nadeshiko skillfully chops vegetables (action) (it was scissors but fine) (this is pin point +2)
- ~ Nadeshiko tries to call over Chiaki and Aoi (plot) (this is pin point +2)
- ~ Somebody accidentally hits the walls of the clubroom (action)
- ~ Rin doesn’t join the Outdoor Activities Club just yet (plot) (this is pin point +2)
- ~ Rin does her stretches before setting up her camp (action) Cause she always does. Maybe we’ll get like a comparison sequence of how the camps are setup with the trio doing their own stretches too.
- ~ Nadeshiko sends a group photo of herself, Aoi, and Chiaki, to Rin just as their about to eat Nadeshiko’s curry rice. Rin, on the other hand, realizes she just can’t send a selfie of just herself in reply (plot)
- Saitou fixes Rin’s hair again (action)
- Rin shows Saitou the pictures she took during her trip in Takabocchi (plot)
- ~ An inanimate object talks (action) (+2, chestnut-chan)
- ~ Nadeshiko and Rin mistake a camper for a ghost — who then proceeds to give them barbecue; specifically the meats they weren’t able to get from the supermarket (plot) (+1, only Rin, and the rest doesn’t happen)
- ~ We see Chikuwa-chan (Saitou’s dog) again! (character)
- ~ It’s revealed that Brother-Sister Veteran Camper Duo are actually related to Saitou, possibly her older brother and sister (plot)
The Pantless Anime Blogger
- Plot related: the characters go out to buy a better tent. (this is pin point +2)
- Character related: Pine Cone-chan makes another cameo
- Plot Related: Nadeshiko visits her fellow club mates in their part time job +1
- Character Related: Nadeshiko will happily eat some food (this is pin point +2)
- Plot Related: The curry will be too spicy
- Character Related: Nadeshiko will drink milk after going on the hot spring
- Plot related: Nadeshiko will cook with meat and potatoes
- Character related: A character will put another character in a submission (wrestling) hold.
- Plot related: Chiaki will meet Rin and Nadeshiko while they’re telling ghost stories, and this’ll scare Nadeshiko.
- Character related: The moon will reflect on the lake to boost the zen vibe of the moment
- Plot Related: Rin wants to study but will be interrupted
- Character related: Characters will visit a convenience store
- Now that Theo has captured the crests of not one, but 2 Lords, I can’t help but think he’ll be drawing quite a bit of attention to himself. I can only see this sparking more violence. +1 (a bit on the very vague side but battle is definitely violent)
- Siluca is going to keep being teased about her outfit. (+2, as of Ep5)
- I think we’re gonna see some political happenings going on as Siluca tries to get the queen and her “father” to accept her and Theo as nobles. +1
- For character actions, I think we might get to see a catfight between Siluca and the church girl?
- We’re going to get to see more of what makes Villar tick, I think. Some motivations behind him and maybe some backstory? (+2, Ep6 basically revealed his origin story)
- As for a character action, Siluca is going to be struggling with her growing feelings for Theo.
- Villar is going to use Theo as a front in order to start dominating the world.
- The Black witch is going to be scheming on how to get revenge on Theo
- The arab-looking guy is testing Theo on Villar’s orders to see if he is prepared to be emperor
- Villar gets lonely by himself
- Plot: Neighboring lords will hear about ep2 battle and begin a sneaky plan/alliance to dethrone out heroes
- Character: Lassic will hit on someone
- Plot: Lady Marinne will accept the alliance but under conditions
- Character: Siluca will continue to grapple with her evolving feelings for Theo – possibly becoming jealous of the priest Lady. +1
- Plot: Theo will get sidetracked on the way to his new home.
- Character: Irvin will want to discuss the situation with Siluca
- Plot: Siluca will take lessons with the castle mages. (+2, or, well, Siluca asks to be taught, but the mere fact that this came up is impressive already) (+1, veto’d by he who must not be pants’d) (I’m sorry, don’t hate me ><)
- Character: Lassic will make an appearance (did I just doom the poor guy to an offscreen death…) (+2)
- Plot: Theo will hear something that will make him doubt Villar
- Character: Another returning character will get to speak (and I will wonder why they don’t just concentrate on them instead of bringing in more new people?) (+2, Lord Alexis is, technically, a returning character, if not then the cat)
- Plot: How about this, someone will try to impute Theo’s claim to lordship? I know that’s super precise and really unlikely but at this point.
- Character: An important character will get hurt.
- ~ Theo sighs and/or facepalms (action)
- ~ Theo and his party attempt a siege (plot) +1
- ~ Siluca summons a creature from Chaos (action)
- ~ Theo and the gang will be granted an audience with Marrine Kreische, but Villar’s mage will ambush/attack them en route (plot) Marrine did get ambushed by Villar…+1
- ~ Siluca is distracted during a fight because of her feelings for Theo (action)
Theo then swoops in to save her in classic “knight in shining armor” fashion. Our girl is a gonner. Blush stickers everywhere.
- ~ Villar starts to take a liking to Siluca, as he comes to realize that she bares a certain similarity to his mother (plot)
- Theo shakes someone’s hand (action) (+2)
- Lassic shows up at Villar’s estate (plot) (+1, I went too specific >.<)
- ~ Theo receives a Lord’s crest (action)
- ~ Milza gets upset that Theo doesn’t kill Baron Ladvan (plot) (+1, well, he could still be upset, but he’s upset at Theo in general anyways, so unless he specifically brings it up, I’ll take my 1)
- ~ Theo talks about returning to his homeland (character)
- ~ Villar praises Theo for the way he handled his affairs, which angers Milza even more, so much that he leaves the conference of the Union Lords (plot)
The Pantless Anime Blogger
- Plot Related: Siluca gets kidnapped by that mama’s boy, Villar Constance.
- Character Related: Aishela kisses that guy again, since I expect he’s an important character.
- Plot Related: Siluca quarrels with her dad +1
- Character related: Someone will get beheaded (hmm, they were demons, so “someone” is a bit of a stretch <inb4 demons are people too> but, yeah, sure, +2)
- Plot Related: Theo rushes in to save Villar Constance from enemy attack
- Character Related: Pink haired girl will heal an injured Theo
- Plot related: Characters will battle in the snow, a snow filled area (+1….? ‘Cause there was snow?? Feel free to contest tho xD)
- Character related: Irvin will appear behind an enemy before he kills them
- Plot Related: There will be a battle at night (+2)
- Character Related: New Dude will kill Villar
- Plot Related: Marina and Alexis will meet
- Character Related: There will be shouting at the lord meeting
- My general prediction all the boys who so very clearly stand out are gonna have an obsession with one or more items of Sanrio merchandise.
- My character action prediction is that one or more of the boys are gonna get in trouble with the student council president. Yup. Called it. You read it here first, folks. Happens at the end of episode 4. +1
- I think that Yoshino is gonna get chewed out by the Soccer team seniors, either for being too good and making them look bad, or because he likes Hello Kitty (Well he did get chewed out several times, though not for liking Hello Kitty, mainly just for being an idiot.) +1
- For character actions, I think we’ll get another awkward interaction between Blondie and Prez. (+2, “awkward” is subjective, but everything about this show is awkward, so it’s fine xD)
- I think we’re going to get to know what Blondie’s trauma is, probably some tragic backstory relating to why he (inevitably) likes a Sanrio character (+1…? It was towards cute things in general and his fave Sanrio was just collateral damage. Open to contention)
- For a character action, Student Council President is going to end up shirtless somehow. Possibly with sparkles around him. (+1) (he was shirtless as a child, in his flashback in episode 6)
- Blondie seems to have an issue with his sisters. i’m guessing they probably dressed him up as a girl as a kid and that’s why he’s so obsessed with “manliness”?
- Blondie calls Prez a hentai.
- Now that the gang is all together, they’ll probably go out and celebrate their love of Sanrio. Maybe the Prez will introduce them to the “joys” of Puroland or something? (+2 as of Episode 7)
- Blondie (I hate him so much) is going to get into an argument with someone… again. (+2 as of Episode 7)
- Plot: We will find out the Student Council Prez also likes Sanrio charas (he looks like Nozaki-kun) + 2 yup cinnamon
- Character: Hase will remember his grandmother (it took a while, but eyy, +2 as of Ep7)
- Plot: Shu will have a falling out with the football (soccer) club (this is pin point +2
- Character: Yuu will use gratuitous English +2 “thank you”
- Plot: We will find out that the shota chara has trouble making friends +2
- Character: Hase blushes +2
- Plot: Everyone will want to go to Puroland (I’m fine giving this a +2 as per the events of Ep7, but it’s open to contention)
- Character: Shota will lose his temper (+2)
- Plot: The boys will be surprised to recognize someone at Puroland they didn’t expect to see there!
- Character: Yuu and Ryo will bicker (+2, lol, Sanrio is just a well of points for Irina xD)
- Plot: The boys will make a Sanrio themed booth for their school festival.
- Character: Shun will lend his stoic strength at a crucial moment
- ~ Close up shot of Kouta’s eyes (action) + 1 (I don’t remember for sure but prolly right?)
- ~ Yuu’s sister was actually pretty into Sanrio stuff too (plot) (this is pin point +2)
- ~ Kouta says kira kira (“sparkling”, or any other derivative) (action) (+2)
- ~ Shunsuke is bullied by his soccer club senpais because of his ace status (plot) (this is pin point +2)
- ~ Yuu teases Kouta for being too caring of a friend (action)
- ~ Shota!Blondie gets into it with Yuu because he thinks Sanrio is unbecoming of a “proper” high school student, unlike the Student Council Prez who he actually thinks of as kind-of a perfect role model (plot) Until he finds out the Prez is into Sanrio too and he caves +1
- Shunsuke pulls out his Hello Kitty good luck charm (action)
- The boys go out to Puro Land, where we find out that the reason why the Prez likes Sanrio was because one time he got lost in that very amusement park, but a Cinnamoroll mascot held his hand and helped him find his way (plot) (+1)
- ~ A character winks (action) (+2)
- ~ The boys form an official Sanrio Club (plot)
- ~ Seiichiro puts his hand on someone’s shoulders (action)
- ~ Ryou doesn’t like the idea of doing a play at first, but after the boys talk him into it, he takes on the role of script-writer (plot)
The Pantless Anime Blogger
- Plot Related: Yuu’s sister actually likes My Melody as well +1 (she used to)
- Character related: Someone will go shirtless. I’d say Yuu, since I think next episode will be about him. (this is pin point +2)
- Plot Related: Shunsuuke’s teammates will have an issue about him liking Hello Kitty. +1
- Character Related: A character will break the fourth wall and talk to the audience. (this is pin point +2)
- Plot Related: Seiichiro puts his face very close to Ryou, making him blush and break eye contact (+2, I see you’re well versed in this genre)
- Character Related: Seiichiro will say “I’m going to (I will) protect you”
- Plot Related: The characters will visit Sanrio Puroland (+2, Ep7)
- Character Related: Ryo will cry (+2)
- Plot Related: Characters will buy a Sanrio product (+2)
- Character Related: Yuu will tease Ryou, and uke will respond shouting (in a dere fashion, at least) (+2)
- Plot Related: The Sanrio Rangers will eat lunch together (all five)
- Character Related: Seme will look at uke while smiling
(point totals updated as of Week 7)
- AG:25 (still missing your Sanrio Ep 6 tho)
- Me :34
- L: 26
- TPAB: 27