I feel like 4/30 is an accomplishment! Hooray for achievable goals! So this week I’m going to be uncharastically critical but I think it’s warranted.
- Your Favorite Teen Meister
- Your Least Favorite Teen Meister
- Your Favorite Teen Weapon
- Your Least Favorite Teen Weapon
- Your Favorite Adult Meister
- Your Least Favorite Adult Meister
- Your favorite Adult Weapon
- Your Least favorite Adult Weapon
- Your Favorite Witch
- Your Least Favorite Witch
- Your Favorite Class
- Your Favorite Outfit
- Your Favorite Pairing
- Your Least Favorite Pairing
- Your Favorite Crack Pairing
- Your Least Favorite Crack Pairing
- Your Favorite Scene
- Your Least Favorite Scene
- Your Favorite Opening
- Your Least Favorite Opening
- Your Favorite Ending
- Your Least Favorite Ending
- Moon or Sun?
- Fool! / BAKA!
- Lord Death
- If You Met Your All Time Favorite Character
- Chibi Time?
- A Message To Atsushi Ohkubo
Your Least Favorite Teen Meister
For the very first time in this challenge, I have a clear-cut answer. I really did not enjoy Patty’s character. I liked the fact that Kid had twin weapons that were nothing alike, it was a cute way to torture him even more but I think her characterization is a rare miss in a generally well realized cast.
I get who (what) Patty was supposed to be. That genki cloudcuckoolander or extreme manic pixie dream girl who was supposed to make you laugh with easy physical jokes and weird stupid lines while making you something else (let’s say confused) with her super cute design and generous endowment. The problem is that with a cast full of weirdos and eccentrics, one more comic relief wasn’t needed and she’s the worse at it.
It’s not that I dislike absurdist humor but the ridiculousness needs something to bounce off of in order to work. Most of the time that’s Liz but when Kid goes ballistic then really, he steals the scene and Patty is left rudderless. I got the feeling that in an effort to not have her overshadowed they exaggerated her behavior which ended up racing right past quirky and straight to annoying/exhausting.
The Thompson twins in general are underdeveloped. A loss to the audience as their backstory was touching and I would have liked to explore the world outside the school a bit more, but Patty in particular does not seem to have an actual personality. We get a sense of what type of person Liz is, we can sort of figure out how she would react to certain situations but Patty just seems nuts. Not interesting crazy, could do anything at any time because she is a completely undefined character, crazy.
Imagine how much more fun it would have been to have Liz constantly bickering with a passive-aggressive twin who was always trying to set her up on dates because she has such a pretty face, she shouldn’t waste it. Or an identical twin brother. Or really just about anyone other than Patty….
Suggested drink: Giraffe
- Every time Patty gets distracted – drink
- Every time Patty eats a ton – have a snack
- Every time Patty is being ditz – roll your eyes
- Every time Patty gets her slasher smile – drink
- Every time Patty burst into laughter – drink
- Every time Patty is being hyperactive – take a deep breath
- Every time we see Patty’s past self – drink