- Genre : Fantasy, Comedy, Slice of Life, Inappropriate Fanserv
- Episodes: 13
- Studio: Kyoto Animation
A character entirely based on me, drunkenly stumbles onto a wounded interdimensional dragon while trying to get home from a fun night out and invites said dragon to live with her. Regrets and adorableness happen.
This is one of these lighthearted little slice of life animes that suddenly drop jarring fanservice involving children for no reason whatsoever. I am working very hard at pretending that part doesn’t exist since aside from that this is really a charming little series.
The over the top moeness of everything manages to not get on your nerves because the story deals with its world and the people inhabiting it, with such a gentle earnestness that what should be nauseating comes across as endearing. The cast is layered and surprisingly complex with a few exceptions (**cough ^ cough***) and the narrative is peppered with genuinely delightful moments.
Just when you think you’ve got this fun carefree little rump figured out, the show hits you with some unexpectedly deep musing on the inherently ephemeral nature of relationships, be they romantic, friendships or even family. In this, the plot raises itself above your run of the mill slice of life fair and shows disarming vulnerability as it treats this subject the way we all do, acknowledging that the ones we love will eventually leave us one way or another and then quickly pushing the thought away desperately trying to hold onto and enjoy the good times while they last. At its best, this show will remind you that happiness is fragile and you have to protect it, at its worst – small boys get attacked by ginormous boobs…. ..so…yeah…
Favorite character: Fafnir duh.
What this anime taught me about myself: I am apparently under surveillance by anime creators.
Fell in love with a beautiful blonde once. Drove me to drink. And I never had the decency to thank her.
Suggested drink: Red Dragon Martini
- Every time we see any of the dragons in their dragon forms – take a drink
- Every time Tohru tries to feed Kobayashi her tail – get a healthy snack
- Every time magic is done – take a drink
- Every time the dragons are admired by unsuspecting humans – take a cautious drink
- Every time Fafnir is adorably menacing – take a drink
- Every time Kobayashi goes in Otaku mode – take a proud drink
- Every time Kobayashi is drinking or drunk – join her
- Every time Makoto is wearing his glasses – take a drink
- Every time Quetzalcoatl and Shōta are on screen together – fast forward
- Every time there is LesYay – take a cool drink