The Promised Neverland Nitpicking – Does Episode 12 Work?

Oh noes! It’s season’s end and I suddenly find myself without a Sunday episode post for you guys. Luckily, The Promise Neverland is the gift that keeps on giving. So I get to milk this amazing anime for content at least one more time! Probably a dozen more times n the future, at least!

I’ve been binge watching the Game Theorists lately. Too much. It’s made me pay way too much attention to unimportant random details. You know, more than usual. It’s also made me a bit over earnest in a lot of ways. For instance, when Animated Andy took a fun loving jab at the last episode of The Promised Neverland in Crow’s Twitter thread, my mind went straight to analysis mode instead of enjoying the joke. And now I’m bringing you all down with me.

Twitter Capture

The very first thing I thought of when seeing that comment was, exactly how wide is that breach anyway? I have never been that great at judging distances and animated perspectives can get tricky but it didn’t seem quite that insurmountable. Not to mention he was throwing at a downward angle.

An intensive search failed to reveal the exact dimensions of the gorge. I mean, it wasn’t in the first three Google results. At least I don’t think so, I skimmed them. So let’s get to some deeply flawed measuring.

I chose Isabella as a yardstick because she’s taller and I figured it would be a bit less manipulation. Can you believe I use to have a laboratory job. Me neither! Ok so here we go:

Promised Neverland - Isabella yardstick

The kids have just escaped and Isabella looks on longingly alone on her side of the wall. And now, this masterpiece:

Promised Neverland - Isabella yardstick 2As you can see, it would seem that the ravine is roughly 4.5 Isabella’s wide, but let’s round that up to five for good measure and because fractions are messy. So five entire Isabellas. I case you don’t live in a country where Isabellas are a common unit of measure, let’s do some conversion.

We know that Isabella is 170cm tall. So five of her would be 850 cm or 8.5 meters (isn’t the metric system fun!) That’s also 27.8871 feet if that helps anyone. But does that make any sense? Would anyone have an 8.5 m ditch as a means to keep children from escaping?

Well, yeah. We know that the maximum age of children in the plant is 12 years minus 1 day. Google tells me that the long jump record for children that age is 5.51 meters or 18.1 feet. Which is way below the require distance. They are jumping at  a downwards angle through which would give them a bit more distance but you also have to consider that long jump provides for a good running start of a straight forward track. Considering what they have to work with this is more like a standing long jump and there, even the adult all time Olympic records stay below 4 meters.

As such, we can say this is a decent sized cliff to use as a physical deterrent to the escape of children.

The Promised Neverland Ep 9 (67)

especially if you’re trying to take 5 year olds with you

I did say fractions were for chumps earlier, didn’t I. Ok, ok, let’s make that distance 9 meters. At this point, I’m pretty sure no human, child or adult could jump it unassisted, even if they somehow could manage a straight on running start.

Alrighty then, we’re all agreed on the dimensions? Great! Let’s see if Don could have thrown that rock across. Once again, I remind you that the downward angle of the throw does allow for some extra distance but for now I’m going to ignore that since the angle has been somewhat inconsistent from one screencap to the next. Just bear that in mind.

Don, and most of the children, have been training pretty intensely. He’s also the biggest and seemingly strongest of the bunch. It would not be unreasonable to think that his throwing distance is over the average to his age. Let’s see what that actually means.

The Promised Neverland Ep 9 (52)

I’m sure it’s not that bad

First I found this dandy chart which seems to relate to baseball averages. For a 12 year old pitcher, 175 feet is considered average. I also read through this thread of people arguing and boasting about their football throwing capacities at 12. It seems that 48 yards is the most reliable estimate for average football throwing distance at that age. Just for fun though, I also went through this collection of supposite averages. This had a much more reserved baseball distance average of 45 feet and 40 to 45 yards for a football.

Let’s say we stick to the lower and more reasonable averages 40 yards for a football and 45 feet for a baseball. Or 36.6 meters for a football and 13.72 meters for a baseball. (Footballs are aéorodynamic AF!) To be even more precise, that’s 21 and 1/2 Isabellas and 8,07 Isabellas, respectively. This would mean that even the lower end averages are more than sufficient to clear that 9 meter wide jump.

This is a good news bad news situation. Good news, there’s a small chance all of of those kids are going to escape to some semblance of safety. Bad news, Don didn’t really need to train that hard and could have taken easy for all these months… Live and learn!

The Promised Neverland Episode 5 (29)

almost done!

But, that wasn’t the initial question now was it. My encyclopedic knowledge of football had me wondering what NFL stood for (I know now) so I had to do yet some more digging.

I got a lot of random information here and in game stats are normalized since passes are often thrown to specific players rather than the longest possible distance. As such I got numbers ranging for 50 yards to 80 yards. I’m feeling generous so let’s say the average quarterback can throw a football 70 yards (37.6 Isabellas).

In other words 55 meters farther than the distance we saw Don throw that rock (i.e. 7 times the total distance all together). I haven’t gone back to watch all the Neverland episodes yet, I’m really just going by this last one. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, we really don’t know that Don can throw a rock farther than a NFL quarterback can throw a football.

But if he can – I’m gonna say: spliced in Demon DNA and sweet sweet demonic antibiotics. You need to keep the livestock healthy after all!

Promised Neverland ep 1 (8)

my heart….

1. Screw feet AND the metric system—I’m measuring everything in Isabellas from now on!

What a fun post, I always love your unusual humor.

More importantly than the throw, however, I wanted to know how the bedsheet rope was able to hold up to the hangers. 🧐

2. Brooke Cannon says:

Awkward… _<: D *cricket, cricket*

3. babycalpis says:

Loving the new unit of measurement! Great post 😂

4. Brooke Cannon says:

TWO DUPLICATES THIS TIME!!!! WHY!?!?!?

5. Brooke Cannon says:

Fun post!!! : )

6. crazyidiot78 says:

i have to say I loved this post as it reminds me so much of my own work (animescience101). I also can’t find anything wrong with your numbers. I like the demonic genes idea, and I would say steriods instead of antibiotics, but I do get the reference.

7. Hmm seems like everyone has mixed thoughts on the last episode Yakusoku Neverland.

8. Brooke Cannon says:

ANOTHER DUPLICATE!!!! >: O

9. I love this so much lol.

The cliff looks narrower to me in the dark. (I have absolutely terrible spatial perception; I have to measure spaces to see if furniture fits into a slot, and people ask me what I’m doing when it’s obvious that there’s enough space.)

Also, I agree with Karandi: the practising was likely necessary for the technique and precision. (Isn’t it even harder to aim in the dark?)

I don’t know if it’s harder to aim or just harder to judge the coordinates (or neither…) Some people close their eyes when they aim at stationary targets and I really have no idea of the science behind it.
      But aiming at something lower than you is usually much easier than the other way around.

11. I’m absolutely honored you ran with my observation (which really was my friend’s first) and it turned into this.

Basically all I want is for people to have fun with what they’re watching and not be afraid to question things. Hype can be a powerful tool, but don’t let it deter you from voicing your own opinions.

Well done! (Looks like I have more educating to do on sports league acronyms though)

12. 7mononoke says:

Hahaha this post made me laugh… especially measuring in units of Isabella… xD
    I just finished this anime and I loved it! But yeah I also seriously doubted they could glide down those ropes made from sheets using close-hangers… damn those must be sturdy close-hangers. lol

I can do that one next but I think it has a good chance. Those are wooden hangers and the kids are pretty young…

• 7mononoke says:

True.
        I wonder what kind of skills or tools you would need to make ropes out of cotton sheets? I think you’d have to be a pretty good binder. This depends on the quality and density of the fibers, I guess, but I feel most sheets tear easily.

• Brooke Cannon says:

7mononoke, I also wonder that.

• Brooke Cannon says:

I wonder the same thing, 7mononoke.

• Brooke Cannon says:

ANOTHER DUPLICATE!!!!!! >: O

it’s odd that no one else has this issue. what are you running the site on?

• Brooke Cannon says:

Really, this is a reply to the other reply below: I’m running the site on a school computer in my Mom’s room. She’s a teacher.

You can see the other comments for yourself

Actually, it happens to me, too, sometimes, regardless of the machine: a post doesn’t show up when the page loads anew. I wait a while, and there it is. I’m not sure what causes this: since it seems to be independent of the set-up, I suppose it’s a timing issue.

Way back, when I fist came here, I’d sometimes make two posts in a row with similar content. That’s why. I’ve since learned to be patient. If the post doesn’t appear after a few hours, I either post again, or… don’t.

you know if we disprove the sheet theory, we will bring down one of the most used tropes in fiction!!! we will be legends…well maybe not

• Brooke Cannon says:

Yeah, the measuring of Isabellas was pretty funny, I agree!

13. Karandi says:

I’m wondering how aerodynamic a rock is now?
    The throwing the distance didn’t bother me so much as the accuracy and managing to firmly hook the tree. But, he was practising so I’m just going to assume in two months he figured that part out.

14. Fred Heiser says:

Looks like I’ll be watching this on toonomi if Matt is correct. And there will be season 2. we

15. Fred Heiser says:

After reading that I want to have your baby. Only the woman of my dreams could do such an analisys! 🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

16. sirmeliodas says:

I love this lol. Wasnt what I was expecting, but I love how you took the time to elaborate this.

Also, shouldn’t adrenaline be taken into account as well. Considering they’re escaping, knowing Isabella is after them, plus the demons and basically anything could go wrong, those kids were pumped with cortisol and adrenaline super juice, which could certainly have boosted his throw to x proportions, making the success of it all relatively more plausible.

True. Mind you with these stats seems like even the younger kids could have done it under normal circonstances

17. ameithyst says:

Ahhh, nice one! I love how you took effort to see if that was doable. 😀

18. Physics: not just a good idea…It’s the law! 🙂

19. Yomu says:

Sorry to be a bother Irina, but isn’t this post title a little spoilery? I wasn’t planning on watching this anime, so I don’t know for sure, but if this is an anime about kids in an orphanage, then I’d be led to believe they escape the orphanage. Maybe that’s not the case, but it’s what I’d think.

Again, I’m not trying to be mean about it or anything, just thought that it’s maybe a bit unfair to someone who may have been waiting to binge the anime.

I could be completely wrong in this though, so please forgive me if that’s the case and the children escape something really early on or whatever.

I’ve changed it to neutral although you should read it because it does deal with the events of the last episode

• Yomu says:

Thanks, I’ve been spoiled on things in the past through a post title because I mostly binge anime and it can be annoying. I appreciate it, even this didn’t affect me personally.
        I read the post and get the gist of it now.

20. Lynn says:

Fine detective work. That was my hunch so it’s great to see it validated.

1. March 31, 2019

[…] Actually, Irina wrote a post to describe the physics. You should check it out here — and be prepared to be astounded! […]