I had the toughest time with this one. Every time I chose an arc I would immediately change my mind. It got so bad I almost chose the Chimera ant arc again, since I at least can find reasons to dislike it – it has my saddest scene pick for one.
- How did you find HxH?
- Favorite main character
- Favorite supporting character
- Favorite Chimera ant
- Least favorite character
- Favorite Zoldyck Member
- Favorite Villain
- Favorite Nen type
- Favorite Nen ability
- Favorite episode
- Favorite scene
- Favorite opening animation
- Do you ship anyone
- Saddest scene
- Favorite non-nen ability
- Favorite ark
- Least favorite ark
- Favorite type of Hunter
- Favorite character outfit
- Funniest scene
- Who would you cosplay as
- Friendliest character
- Least friendly character
- Best main character family member
- Favorite character backstory
- Worse main character family member
- Manga or Anime
- Most relatable character
- What got you hooked on the show
- Why do you love HxH
Least Favorite ark
In the end I went with the Hunter Exam arc but I flipped a coin.
I guess you could argue that the characters are at their least developed, hence least interesting at this point. The animation is also the worse the series has to offer, and although the first few episodes are pleasant enough, and paced in such a way that you can easily watch half a dozen without realizing it, they aren’t that memorable. In many ways, things don’t really start to get interesting until the get to the exam proper.
At this point, HxH is still a relatively family friendly affair. I’m not sure if this was a conscious decision (the more gruesome scenes, such as Hisoka’s initial entrance, were obviously sanitized for TV) that they later reviewed and decided to change. After all, the series as a whole gets rather violent and some scenes would certainly be very disturbing for small children. Or if this was simply a general anime standard everyone was just automatically adhering to.
Wait, was Killua just gruesomely murdering an innocent bystander for stress relief in this arc? Nevermind on the family friendly part…
OK let’s start again, the Hunter exam arc did a great job introducing us to the characters but lacked the excitement or narrative focus of later arcs. Admittedly, it did such a great job establishing secondary protagonists, that we think of Leorio and Kurapika as main characters even though their presence is pared down considerably in later arcs. Did you guys know Leorio’s last name is Paradiknight? It sounds so grand!
Wait what was I saying? The Hunter exam arc is a great arc? Yeah that was it. The Hunter exam arc was a fantastic way to kick off this remarkable series and a pillar of its enduring success with viewers the world over.
Suggested drink: New Beginnings
- Every time people are surprised/impressed by Gon’s enthusiasm – have a drink
- Every time Gon is more powerful than he seems – have a drink
- Every time Leorio gets mad – have a drink
- Every time Killua is actually evil – have a drink
- Every time Kurapika is the voice of reason – raise your glass
- Every time Gon mediates – sigh and have a drink
- Every time someone gets a badge – have a drink
- Every time we see Hisoka – take a deep breath