I have always been a little ambivalent towards Hunter x Hunter’s Nen system. On the one hand, it’s really nothing more that classifying superpowers and I love classifications but for all the detail and structure available, the actual dividing of powers is rather imprecise with a lot of the categories being very similar. The execution is even worse as you could easily argue for any particular power to be part of any and all groups but for today we’re just talking about types.
- How did you find HxH?
- Favorite main character
- Favorite supporting character
- Favorite Chimera ant
- Least favorite character
- Favorite Zoldyck Member
- Favorite Villain
- Favorite Nen type
- Favorite Nen ability
- Favorite episode
- Favorite scene
- Favorite opening animation
- Do you ship anyone
- Saddest scene
- Favorite non-nen ability
- Favorite ark
- Least favorite ark
- Favorite type of Hunter
- Favorite character outfit
- Funniest scene
- Who would you cosplay as
- Friendliest character
- Least friendly character
- Best main character family member
- Favorite character backstory
- Worse main character family member
- Manga or Anime
- Most relatable character
- What got you hooked on the show
- Why do you love HxH
Favorite Nen Type
So let’s have a quick recap of the types:
The ability to use aura to increase the natural abilities of an object or one’s own body. Straightforward superpowers. Considered the most balanced category, allowing users to spread themselves evenly between offense and defense. Since you only really need to use your body, the nen abilities of this type are usually simple fighting techniques just much more powerful than they should be.
A person can change the properties of their aura to mimic something else. Very similar to Emission, and Conjuration (see what I mean). Even though you could in theory create practical objects with it, most abilities seem to be having something radiate from the user. Such as electricity, heat, stickiness…
These guys can control the deployment of their aura while separating it from their body. So basically the make aura bullets or hadokens. If those happen to be on fire then they’re transmutters?
Conjuration is the ability to create a physical, independent, material object out of one’s aura. Same as transmutation BUT conjuration is the only way in which Nen can create things that ordinary people (unaware of Nen) can see and touch. Within the HxH narrative though, they might as well be the exact same thing since everyone is aware of Nen.
Manipulators can “control” living or non-living things in a certain way (and manipulate the aura itself). This description offers up quite a few possibilities but we really only see various forms of mind control. Still cool though and at least distinctive.
Magic – just straight up wizard did it.
Ok, I think specialization is cheating here so of the remaining types I’m torn between Manipulation and Transmutation for the following reasons:
First Manipulation is the one truly distinctive feeling type. It can’t easily be mistaken for anything else and although I do not think the full potential of the type was explored, I can see a lot of possibilities for it. On the other hand, Transmutation is fun to say! Ok there are other reasons.
Of all the water divination results, transmutation has the most interesting one. The idea of changing the taste of the water was truly different to me and I liked the practical implications. You have to actually drink some unknown liquid that could be disgusting for all you know. If the taste has changed that means the chemical properties have been altered. There’s really nothing that says it can’t be poisonous. I bet Hisoka’s was, or it tasted like cotton candy.
Second is the personality test. This is Hisoka’s own invention so you have to take it for what it’s worth, but it does seem pretty accurate:
- Conjurers are high-strung and methodical. For example: Kurapika, Kortopi and Shizuku.
- Emitters are impatient and not detail-oriented. For example: Leorio and Franklin.
- Enhancers are simple and determined. For example: Gon and Nobunaga.
- Manipulators are logical and do things at their own pace. For example: Zushi, Illumi and Shalnark.
- Transmuters are whimsical liars. For example: Killua and Hisoka.
- Specialists are independent and charismatic. For example: Chrollo and Neon. ***but we’re not counting them***
From these personality types, again, Manipulators and Transmuters are my clear favorites. I loves me a troll, especially a humorous one and the logical types are often interesting and good for exposition. Mind you I’m not entirely sure how “logical” Illumi is but I suppose everything makes perfect sense in his own head…
Speaking of Illumi, my final point is that pretty much all my favorite characters have one of these two types of Nen. On this Transmuters clearly outweigh the Manipulators but that’s in part because there are much more of them among the recurring characters. If you’re curious:
- Transmuters: Hisoka, Killua Zoldyck , Silva Zoldyck , Zeno Zoldyck, Sadaso, Machi, Feitan, Biscuit Krueger (aside from Silva and Sadaso, all were contenders for favorite supporting character)
- Manipulators : Illumi Zoldyck, Kalluto Zoldyck, Zushi , Squala, Baise, Shalnark, Morel Mackernasey, Shoot McMahon, Ikalgo, Shaiapouf (Morel and Shoot had some really interesting interpretations of this type)
Huh I guess I didn’t answer the question. Go me. Ok Let’s say conjuration.
A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine, except that on a day without sunshine you can still get drunk
Suggested drink: Aura In Me
- Every time we see the Nen hexagon – have a sip
- Every time the water divination ritual is carried out – have some water
- Every time we see Wing – have a sip
- Every time we see someone’s aura – have a sip
Every time someone feels Nen – have a sip
- if it’s an ant’s – have a comforting snack
Every time someone explains Ten, Zetsu, Ren or Hatsu – take a sip
- if someone uses one of those techniques – take another
- Every time Biscuit explains advanced nen techniques – have a sip
- Every time someone uses Gyo – have a sip