Another easy question! Ha, I’m becoming a real pro at this! I hope you guys are enjoying these.
- Your Favorite Teen Meister
- Your Least Favorite Teen Meister
- Your Favorite Teen Weapon
- Your Least Favorite Teen Weapon
- Your Favorite Adult Meister
- Your Least Favorite Adult Meister
- Your favorite Adult Weapon
- Your Least favorite Adult Weapon
- Your Favorite Witch
- Your Least Favorite Witch
- Your Favorite Class
- Your Favorite Outfit
- Your Favorite Pairing
- Your Least Favorite Pairing
- Your Favorite Crack Pairing
- Your Least Favorite Crack Pairing
- Your Favorite Scene
- Your Least Favorite Scene
- Your Favorite Opening
- Your Least Favorite Opening
- Your Favorite Ending
- Your Least Favorite Ending
- Moon or Sun?
- Fool! / BAKA!
- Lord Death
- If You Met Your All Time Favorite Character
- Chibi Time?
- A Message To Atsushi Ohkubo
Your Favorite Adult Meister
I’m just going to come right out and say it, Stein is one of my favorite characters. I don’t mean from Soul Eater, I mean in general. And I have no idea why…
Well that’s not entirely true, I do have a bit of an idea, it has to do with his temperature! There’s no denying that he sports a lot of the features I happen to enjoy staring at and the whole stitches motif he’s got going on is soooo me, but I’d like to think there’s more to it than that. After all, I think Alibaba from Magi is one handsome cartoon but I often forget he exists (sometimes while watching Magi…) So, what is it about Stein? I won’t lie, I really don’t know and I have no clue where this post is going to go. It might not get published. It might devolve into NSFW fanfic. Let’s find out!
Personality wise, he’s pretty indefensible. The man is completely honest about his lack of morals and disinterest in others. He’s stated that he’s incapable of love or empathy and does not seem the least bit troubled by it. He feels no need for friendships or romances and his only actual interest in others is as walking talking experiments. His fragile loyalty to Death is only based on a practical consideration to help him avoid sinking into complete madness because that would be inconvenient. He’s a horrible person but also really fascinating. Oh wait – am I seeing him as a test subject?
Amoral characters tend to interest me in general. The lack of any strong persuasions grants a certain freedom. It makes it so a character can be meticulously developed but remain a little unpredictable without it seeming out of place. It’s not so much that Stein could do anything at any time, he does have a through line and is consistent, it’s more that there are no real established rules for how a character like him would normally behave so a good writer can afford to throw in some twists as long as he can justify them within Stein’s reasoning. I guess I tend to prefer characters that are stimulating to those that are merely inspiring. I’m just much more curious than emotional really.
Within the show Stein is probably the closest thing to an authority figure. By that I don’t mean he is supremely powerful, although he is quite capable no one could doubt that Death surpasses him. I mean he is the story element that sets up rules around the younger cast for most of the show. He’s also the one who answers questions, gives guidance and sets up tasks. How any of these kids are still alive is a true wonder. His own difficult struggle with insanity is an obvious mirroring of the overall theme of chaos vs order and brings the central conflict of the show down to a personal level. Since I’m a person who likes rules and understands the fear of losing control, I can really apricate Stein’s character.
Finally, his lack of sentimentality guarantees that he’s never going to get all mopey and emo on us! Stein greets most situations with dry sarcastic wit and perfect deadpan humor. Two of my favorite things. And I just realized, I’m Stein. I like him because he’s like me. I should probably see someone about that. So, is anyone else super disappointed this didn’t go the x-rated doujin way?
Suggested drink: a Mad Scientist
- Every time Stein tightens his screw – take a drink
- Every time Stein rolls in or out on a computer chair – take a drink
- if he falls – take a second
- Every time Stein reminds you of Faust – consider reading Shaman King
- Every time he gets creepy shiny glasses – have a drink
- Every time Stein lights a cigarette – have a snack?
- Every time Stein confronts Medusa – have a drink
- Every time we see the world through Stein’s madness – wonder if you already had too many