Back again for to eat some delicious delicious souls with all of you!
- Your Favorite Teen Meister
- Your Least Favorite Teen Meister
- Your Favorite Teen Weapon
- Your Least Favorite Teen Weapon
- Your Favorite Adult Meister
- Your Least Favorite Adult Meister
- Your favorite Adult Weapon
- Your Least favorite Adult Weapon
- Your Favorite Witch
- Your Least Favorite Witch
- Your Favorite Class
- Your Favorite Outfit
- Your Favorite Pairing
- Your Least Favorite Pairing
- Your Favorite Crack Pairing
- Your Least Favorite Crack Pairing
- Your Favorite Scene
- Your Least Favorite Scene
- Your Favorite Opening
- Your Least Favorite Opening
- Your Favorite Ending
- Your Least Favorite Ending
- Moon or Sun?
- Fool! / BAKA!
- Lord Death
- If You Met Your All Time Favorite Character
- Chibi Time?
- A Message To Atsushi Ohkubo
Your Least Favorite Teen Meister
And I thought question 1 was tough. As I said last week, I honestly really like all the meisters (yes even Black Star) and they have all been my favourite at some point (yes even Black Star) so I really couldn’t bring myself to dislike anyone (yes even…you get the picture). So, I decided on a single criterion, instead of which do I dislike, I went for which would I miss the least if they were to be omitted from the remake. No, it’s not Black Star….
Hiro is in fact a super fun character and I really enjoyed his short-lived tenure on the show but since he was only used for a single filler episode, I begrudgingly have to admit that he’s the most dispensable. But a fantastic character, and a great way to fill a genuinely enjoyable episode.
In a fourth wall break, the show itself acknowledges that Hiro is basically designed to be the stereotypical shonen leading man. Complete with super stylish accessories and all. In a series that tends to veer steeply away from convention, this was already a charming dissonance, but the entire winky self-aware tone of those episodes was hilarious and a nice palette cleanser before the tense final stretch. (Am I the only one who thinks they should redo those last 5 episodes – maybe the whole arc…) The fact that he seems to be aware on some level that he’s not living up to his birthright made for some amusing metacommentary that was not touched upon at any other time.
But this post is supposed to point out Hiro’s faults (I think) so here we go: Hiro is the worst.
For one, he’s just not a very good meister. In fact, he’s empirically the worst meister. It’s not that he doesn’t try or has a bad attitude, he’s just plain bad. To his credit, he does come up with a solution to his, and a successful one at that. I mean it does have its drawbacks but Hiro understands that there’s a price to pay for everything. And being a sad lowly creature with pretty much no other options, he quickly resigns himself to all of Excalibur’s extravagant demands.
And of course – being my least favorite meister n all – power immediately goes to his head. Not only turning his back on his old classmates but defeating and humiliating the DWMA‘s best fighters just to show off. Not happy with simply proving his newly found talents, he has to do so in the most over the top, gaudy way possible, disrupting everyone around him and probably polluting the ambient air.
As if violent hubris wasn’t enough, he succumbs to his baser instincts, harassing the female student body (yeah baby) while leaning heavily on his sudden privilege. He may have gained some impressive fighting ability but he’s clearly still the worst!
A monster in sheep’s clothing, Hiro can’t even muster the conviction to stand by his decisions and dumps poor Excalibur for a mere innocent sneeze. I would be hard pressed to find a single redeeming quality to this guy. Worse still, half the internet spells his name Hiro while the other half spells it Hero. Now that’s just annoying. In sum Hiro is the worst and I wish we had seen more of him.
Suggested drink: a Master Sword
- Every time Hiro abuses his power – take a drink
- Every time someone calls Hiro the worst – agree
- Every time you spot Hiro in the background – take a drink
- Every time we get Hiro fanservice – raise your glass
- Every time Hiro overreacts to sneezing – say bless you
- Every time you wonder what “Hero the Atomic” is – take a drink
- Every time you get the uneasy feeling that Hiro has endured years of harsh bullying – drink it away