You know, being friendly isn’t the same as being good or kind. When you think about it, a lot of the murderous psychopath s populating the Hunter x Hunter universe are pretty friendly, you know…until they’re not.
- How did you find HxH?
- Favorite main character
- Favorite supporting character
- Favorite Chimera ant
- Least favorite character
- Favorite Zoldyck Member
- Favorite Villain
- Favorite Nen type
- Favorite Nen ability
- Favorite episode
- Favorite scene
- Favorite opening animation
- Do you ship anyone
- Saddest scene
- Favorite non-nen ability
- Favorite ark
- Least favorite ark
- Favorite type of Hunter
- Favorite character outfit
- Funniest scene
- Who would you cosplay as
- Friendliest character
- Least friendly character
- Best main character family member
- Favorite character backstory
- Worse main character family member
- Manga or Anime
- Most relatable character
- What got you hooked on the show
- Why do you love HxH
Even though there are a lot of potential contenders for the title, let’s face it, Gon leaves them all in the dust.
I’ve briefly touched on the (absolutely disarming) depths of Gon’s character. When you get right down to it, he’s selfish, inconsiderate and brutally uncompromising. Gon is not a great person. He is also still a child and those are common traits in kids but when you have his power, they take on a whole new meaning.
It’s not as if he’s particularly duplicitous either. After all, he’s never made any real effort to hide those parts of his personality, they just aren’t always obvious. I’m being coy on purpose. The reveal is a powerful moment. However you may ultimately feel about him, if there’s one thing that is obvious, it’s that Gon is one friendly guy. It’s practically his character defining trait. Not fair, or kind or even loyal but always super friendly.
By and large, Gon seems completely impervious to prejudices. He is indifferent to gender, appearance, status, even reputation. No matter who you are gon is always happy to get to know you. You can bet that if he’s giving you the cold shoulder, there’s a mighty good reason for it.
And this open attitude towards others seems completely genuine to boot. He isn’t gaining favour or avoiding trouble, this is just a guy who’s been lucky and strong enough never to have learned caution.
But, should you ever mistake this welcoming attitude for foolishness or naivety, you are likely to be sorry. Gon may never turn cold but he does run hot and his anger isn’t something you want to come up against.
Suggested drink: House of Friends
- Every time Gon strikes up a conversation with a stranger – take a sip
- Every time Killua had to pull Gon away – take a sip
- Every time Gon is being really nice to an adversary – take a sip
- Every time Gon answers taunts earnestly – take a sip
- Every time anyone is surprised by Gon’s openess – take a sip
- Every time someone is taken in by Gon’s freindiness – cheers