It’s a great credit to this show that I find most of the “least favorite” questions very difficult to answer. This week was no different.
- Your Favorite Teen Meister
- Your Least Favorite Teen Meister
- Your Favorite Teen Weapon
- Your Least Favorite Teen Weapon
- Your Favorite Adult Meister
- Your Least Favorite Adult Meister
- Your favorite Adult Weapon
- Your Least favorite Adult Weapon
- Your Favorite Witch
- Your Least Favorite Witch
- Your Favorite Class
- Your Favorite Outfit
- Your Favorite Pairing
- Your Least Favorite Pairing
- Your Favorite Crack Pairing
- Your Least Favorite Crack Pairing
- Your Favorite Scene
- Your Least Favorite Scene
- Your Favorite Opening
- Your Least Favorite Opening
- Your Favorite Ending
- Your Least Favorite Ending
- Moon or Sun?
- Fool! / BAKA!
- Lord Death
- If You Met Your All Time Favorite Character
- Chibi Time?
- A Message To Atsushi Ohkubo
Your Least Favorite Adult Weapon
I know he’s technically both weapon and meister and possibly still a teenager but I think he qualifies in spirit at least.
Let me start by saying I think Justin is a great character. His design is fun and yummy. The obnoxious constant earbuds are nostalgic. His in between of all things status (i.e. not quite weapon or meister, not quite kid nor adult…) gave him a unique perspective and made him impossible to substitute. You can clearly understand why he would be my least favorite.
I’m going to do something I said I didn’t want to and bring the manga into it. In the anime Justin is drastically underdeveloped and underused. On the other hand, he plays a very important part in the manga. His specific role in the grand scheme of things was unfortunately written out of the storyline (one assumes for time) in the anime at a huge loss for the audience. It was an element that I found very exciting in the manga and brought a new dimension and a lot of excitement to the story. It helped flesh out not only Justin but those around him as well and the show is poorer for its absence.
In the anime, Justin makes a huge entrance. The show insists on how individual he is and makes his very existence a troubling element for Maka and Soul. You can clearly see the potential for this guy from the very first scene but then he basically disappears. He drops completely out of the storyline for no satisfying reason and you end up feeling cheated. This was a huge disappointment and considering what he could have been, a huge waste.
Suggested drink: Holywater
- Every time we see Justin’s blade – chug
- Every time Soul is insecure because of Justin – chug
- Every time Justin calls his attacks – chug
- Every time Justin can’ hear – chug
- Every time Justin is lipreading – chug