We’re at the penultimate episode of the season and I,m kind of worried. I really dislike when shows try to cram new elements in at the last minute. It’s rarely done right and you don’t really have the time for a proper payoff. And this episode seemed like it was trying t do just that.
I just said the episode was trying to cram loads of new stuff in but the fact is that most of the episode, like 2/3rds was still the TV buying saga. That’s the major part of two episodes now. It’s one of the more sustained and developed arcs of the season. So they all go to the mall to buy a TV, on the way they stop to grab lunch at the food court. There is a lot of TV buying discussion.
I guess to be completely fair, it was developing the “relationship” with Ashiya and the girl with the short hair. I think they are the couple in the show that annoys me the least so that’s good. On the flip side I also deeply don’t care about this relationship.
The last act packed a bunch of stuff. Chio’s in a coma and apparently, a new angel is using magic waves to scout the city through TVs to find Mahou. So now we have to take out the new angel and save Chio. I’m not sure if they dropped the storyline about Emi’s mother. I know it’s the nurse with the white hair and she’s probably Mahou’s mom angel as well. Oy… But in the episode, it didn’t go anywhere. Emi followed the trail for a bit then got completely distracted by Cho’s predicament. Also, I don’t know if we care about Yesod and the tree anymore. I thought we did but that also seems to have been pushed aside.
The new antagonist is a male angel and I bet it was the guy with the Afro that was speaking English with a super heavy Japanese accent in the restaurant.
So now they have one episode to introduce and defeat a new main antagonist, save Chio, resolve 2 or 3 romantic subplots, figure out how to bring some type of satisfying conclusion to Gabriel’s arc, tell us what this previous Satan and treasures bit is all about, unravel the white-haired angel’s story, and close Alas’ arc. See what I mean, that’s a heck of a lot to put on a single episode and I have a feeling they just won’t do it.
They’ll either leave half the plot threads they introduced throughout the season hanging, or it will be a mess. Could be a fun mess though! Fingers crossed!
- The Devil is A Part-Timer! Season 1
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 1 – Cautiously Optimistic
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 2 – 3 Men And A Baby
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 3 – Still Neutral
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 4 – Deus Ex Alas
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 5 – Beach Episode
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 6 – To The Birds
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 7 – I Guess It’s Good They Didn’t Drown
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 8 – Mini Review
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 9 – Mother
- The Devil is a Part-Timer! 2 Episode 10 – The Final Stretch